1. The current 9 to 5 GP service should be properly resourced with timely appointments available to patients.
2. Unions for all workers should ensure that their members get paid time off during the working day for GP and dental appointments.
3. All unions and patient groups should work with the BMA and RCGP locally to make sure primary care medical services are fit for purpose.
4. Out of hours and weekend services should be covered by a properly resourced emergency service with telephone triage support staffed by qualified accredited doctors and nurses with responses continuously audited for quality.
● Related article: Tomorrow's doctors?